We all talk about the world and its myriad problems caused due to the human condition. Could adoption be one of the major solutions for these issues? Here are some reasons people have for adopting children and pets rather than bringing more new children into the world.
- It Feels Better: To have an opportunity to uplift and help another person, child or animal feels phenomenally better than to stay busy satisfying our own ever- increasing desires. When we rescue that stray animal who was dying on the streets with no food, water or shelter, or adopt and educate a beautiful child who has no family of her own, we know that we are living from our heart and doing what feels right.
- Conscious Alternative to Fertility Clinics: Thanks to the overrated image of pregnant women as mothers, we have forgotten that motherhood or fatherhood is more about raising children than producing them. We all see IVF centers mushrooming everywhere and pharmaceutical or medical organizations make plenty of money promoting fertility clinics to help childless people have children of their own. Why would people prefer to spend that much time and energy trying to conceive when they could simply adopt and have a beautiful little person to share space and love with?
- Spiritual Awakening: The reasons such as genetic urge to carry on your own bloodline or the need to keep up with highly valued social customs of reproduction are all illusory and insignificant for those who are awakened spiritually. We do not live our life as per outer rituals and systems any longer because we have discovered a far more valuable inner truth through spiritual realization, meditation and inner change. The mindless race of consumerism and material life is less important and having a better inner quality of life and love is more.
- Solution for Homelessness: We all have seen the familiar homeless person in all our major cities, subways and streets. The poor person who is unable to afford the mortgage, loan or rent for property might have had a difficult childhood or no family to support him. When we provide a home to those children who face poverty in the world by opening our hearts to them, we reduce the chances they will end up struggling on the streets.
- Population Control: We all know that the way our population seems to be growing, it could be impossible to look after all of us in the near future with just this one planet to live on. We can spend trillions of funds trying to discover and colonize new habitable planets, or we could be wiser and promote adoption that not only prevents over-population but also helps us look after the existing children of the world who actually need helping.
- Animals Matter Too: Having our own biological children might seem to satisfy the reproductive urges of some people, but they probably have not tried having pets yet. Animal life is not less precious than human life, and pets are as loving and innocent as human children are. Having a pet can cure our reproductive cravings to a large extent by giving our maternal and paternal instincts an outlet in the form of unconditional love beyond our own species.
- Solution to Poverty and Child Labor: In financially weaker nations it is common to see little children walking around on dangerously busy streets, begging for alms, or performing manual labor at construction sites and highways. If parents were encouraged not to have their own children unless they are capable of looking after their material needs and provide them a safe childhood, we could have a more conscious world. Until then we could at least encourage adoption of those children living in deplorable situations facing child abuse that is unthinkable to most of us.