Sometimes the biggest personal blocks to changing ourslelves, healing and transformation comes from our own attachment to our family and close relatives. We are so used to them, so much in love, so worshipful of our parents, so respectful of relatives, that we end up doing a lot of things they do and copy the same habits that they in turn have been learning from the world around them, from their ancestors, from media, science, schools or even spirituality.
My school teacher in year one itself called for a special class on why we should not be vegetarian, explaining that ‘plants have life too’. It was a popular joke in family dinners that ‘We love animals, because they are so tasty’. So ingrained this was in my psyche since early years that it never bothered me that there was slaughter or exploitation involved against another creature’s free will. In my Wicca degrees gained from a western tradition they ridiculed Jains for not eating meat to educate their Wiccan followers that ‘Harm None Do As Ye Will’ does not extend to animals as it is extreme to be vegetarian, leave alone vegan. Being enchanted with western superiority and power over Indian culture a lot of Indians follow the western spiritualists, philosophers and scientists with a lot of respect. This is not to say that Indian or eastern philosophy is perfect, just that our education system has globally been fashioned around British principles to a toxic extend with English being the most popular language all over the world and degrees in English highly sought after.
My father was a brilliant man and loved the idea of space exploration. he wrote the first ever children’s Hindi science fiction novel in India published in a hugely popular children’s magazine in four parts as recorded in the Indian book of records. He always said, if the world is coming to an end, do not worry, we can always build a spaceship and find a new planet to live on. Because the universe is unlimited and there are infinite starts and planets around. This is what science has taught us through our schools and through our fiction novels, that we can destroy our planet and cooly find a new one to destroy. This to us is a mark of human superiority, our technological prowess.
It appears that there are four types of galactic civilisations according to a very popular system. The Kardashev scale is a method of measuring a civilization’s level of technological advancement based on the amount of energy they are able to consume. So Type 1 uses all of the energy of our planet (apparently we humans are aspiring to reach that level), Type 2 will use all the solar system energy, Type 3 galactic energy consumer and so on. This is called progress? Using more, consuming more, taking more? Destroying whatever we see, consuming and eating up our planet, and then the universe itself!
The Kardashev scale was first explained by my very intelligent (brilliant like my father) husband who was an ardent follower of Yogananda and his master Swami Yukteshwar who wrote The Holy Science and described how Yugas are related to scientific advancement. According to their philosophy we are not in Kali-yuga but Dwapar yuga or new age with the darkest of all times behind us. While I like that thought they also say we are ascending in consciousness level as we have invented electricity and now are using more and more energy and advancing scientifically so that we will be even more powerful. Of course I never agreed with this philosophy that Yugas are related to science and technology, to me it is only and only about morality and reducing our impact on earth, being less harmful to the environment and to other beings and to be less demonic as human beings on earth who are destroying our world.
To me Sata yuga has no gadgets or technology at all, these machinations being harmful to nature and not in alignment with the spirit world, who is telepathic and has no need for gadgets. In Sata yuga in my opinion we will meditate and develop our hidden powers of intuition and telekinesis instead of gadgetry and weapons, and be so morally clean that we wouldnever think of using these powers for any kind of evil or harm to others. We will be kind, take nothing much from nature, exist blissfully without needing to chop a single tree or animal, or build a concrete jungle, leave alone mining for metals and blasting away the planet looking for things to consume and build spaceships with. Energy from within channeled from the higher self, not craving for more and more from around us, seems like the only right way of using energy.
Similarly we have been taught to be proud of our skills to manifest success in our material life. New age spirituality has brainwashed us to think ‘more’, want ‘more’, dream ‘more’ and create ‘more’…and so we perform our daily chores but also attract ‘more’ money, wealth, cars, toys, artefacts, jewels, wealth, property…we all want to be billionnaires as feng-shui would want us to be. We learnt how to use special stones and affirmations to ensure we are streaming more and more ‘abundance’ into our lives in the form of financial prosperity. While this teaches us about how to manipulate energy, unknowlingly we are becoming victims of a system that values money and wealth earned through exploitation of our planet. Our cars, real estate and jewels are not ours to keep, they hurt our planet and destroy our eco-system. We should as spiritualists be seeking less not more, letting go, not attracting, be celibate not wanting more sexual relationship success, be a minimalist not someone who consumes more and more.
When I realized this I felt a sense of relaxation as if years of stress of so called ‘success’ has been taken away from my head, the need to ‘balance spirituality with materialism’ as read in so many new age textbooks by leading authors of the western world and ‘tantra’. No longer do I need to enchant relationships into my life, nor do I need to magic more money, luxury or big houses into my little world. I can be content with what I have nd try to let go even more. It never felt good anyways, trying to attract relationships and money or property, something always felt very wrong at a very deep level, adn obviously it felt like I am in illusion, the money and clients illusion, and all my popularity an illusion, a dreamworld or matrix. From then on I am only letting go. At times I have not had a lot of money, probably not enough to eat a grand meal, but strangely I had no hunger either. There are days I had no food and was perfectly healthy and doing my daily chores without fainting. Even avoiding water and food at times was fine for some days when fasting, although it is not for me to advise others to try it. I have not continued this beyond a week or so and still eat a little or have a cup of hot chocolate and some snacks or fruit daily and cook healthy meals for my son, eating leftovers because I hate to waste food. But I am impressed that we actually can live with so very little, we can conserve instead of consume energy, use our inner resources instead of outer ones, even breatharianism is possible.
During Ascension for a lot of us, the veils are being lifted off, we are learning how not to be enamoured by our history:
- We are learning not to be proud of the wars our forefathers faught that the matrix has taught us to be proud of.
- We are learning that just because our parents love eating meat or dairy we do not have to be respectful of this heinous practice and must very kindly express ourselves and explain why we disagree withut fighting.
- We are learning to not reach out for that bottle of spiderkiller spray or how not to swat mosquitoes and flies away, instead of use ethical alternatives and keep our homes clean in the first place.
- We are learning how not to grow with weedicides and to not throw away weeds but to integrate nature into our gardens.
- We are learning how to not use trees for wood or paper just because we grow a tree for replacement, but to use ethical alternatives instead.
- We are learning to use less land, less water, less food just for luxury or pleasure and consume only what we truly require.
- We are learning how to adopt children and rescue animals to satusfy our parental cravings instead of producing more children.
- We are learning how to place our crystals back into earth for healing our planet, back into our seas and soil with intentions for healing nature instead of using them for personal wellbeing.
- We are learning how to use less wifi, less phones, less computers and not be addicted to them or increase their demands in the world by buying more.
- We are learning to print less paper and save trees, use bamboo or other sustainable paper only if absolutely necessary
- We are learning to use herbal compost toilets where we can instead of flushing systems and wash our bottoms thoroughly instead of waste toilet rolls made of tree pulp.
- We are learning to use natural herbs instead of chemicals for washing, bathing, shampoo, dental care.
- We do not value plastic anymore, we know there was life before it and there will be a better life after it, and without all those synthetic fabrics too.
- We do not need to travel and go on expensive holidays and fly about, instead we have Greta Thunberg showing us how to not fly a jet plane.
- We are learning to question the system around us that we created to suit our past level of awarenes
- We are learning to switch off the television, not engage in politics, stop watching newsfeed all the time, not to gossip about people, not to google up for everything and meditate instead.
These are all beautiful ascension practices to learn, that help us evolve to a level that is lesss materialistic, less consumeristic, and more ethical.
However that is not all, we also need to learn how to develop our inner spiritual self and sixth sense or Extended Sensory Perceptions for Ascension by seeing the unseen, knowing the unknown. Spiritual awakening is about making our subconcious more conscious. It is about self-witnessing, going within and no longer engrossed in the self deception that the world is any way real. We are wearing off and getting exhausted living in an artificial simulation that some of us recognise is a false world pulled over our eyes. We are looking for answers. And that requires some courage – the courage to let go and challenge everything we have learnt from our ancestors.