Whether you are a spiritual practitioner or a seeker of spiritual healing services, these few guidelines can be helpful in clearing misconceptions and encouraging a more peaceful experience in spiritual practice.
1. First of all Harm None: Spirituality is all about developing loving compassion and forgiveness. Any harmful practice such as cursing, revenge or sending negative energy even in retaliation or as a show of power is not spiritual in nature. Some people believe that it is alright to send harm back to the person who sent it your way, without realizing that doing so would only multiply the negative energy circulating in our matrix in which all of us are deeply interconnected. Negative energy is meant to be shielded out and transformed to something positive through inner work instead of reacting to it.
2. Reasonable Exchange: On one hand some people believe that spiritual service of any kind such as healing, meditation, training or reading, should be provided totally free. On the other hand there are practitioners who charge unfairly high amounts by pretending to have ‘special’ powers while the truth is that anyone can learn and practice these skills over time through personal dedication. Spiritual services, especially if carried out by qualified, dedicated practitioners at a private practice will require sustenance through either sufficient donations or service fees. It is fair to make a reasonable exchange in return of the attention you receive to compensate for the focused time and expertise you take from someone.
3. Integrity: It can be shocking to see lack of honesty and integrity among some spiritual professionals where ethics and positive energy are supposed to be the core teachings. Just as stealing money or goods is unethical, stealing someone’s intellectual property such as brand name, contacts and course content is unethical too, yet this has been commonplace in the crowded spiritual marketplace. Another kind of stealing is psychic ‘vampirism’ where feed off the time and energy of others. Some false gurus have been adept at charming clients to attract financial benefits, or sexually seducing young apprentices in the guise of sacred union. True spiritual practitioners are brimming with energy and radiate their inner light instead of manipulating others for personal pleasure or gain.
3. Break Free from Superstition: In the past spiritual powers were attributed to spirits, demons, gods, angels, fairies or mysterious occult forces. Today we have realized that we all can manifest reality through our deep beliefs, focused thoughts and higher consciousness. Whatever we believe in becomes part of our reality, including various spiritual and otherworldly beings in our grand illusion. Certain religious and magical folk have in the past exploited masses for power or material gain by playing upon fears of devil or hell, and promising divine wish fulfillment or heaven in return of obedience and servitude. A spiritual practitioner on the other hand works on improving inner frequencies, raising consciousness and allowing people to realize their inner truth.
4. Self Empowerment: Some gurus and cult leaders have attempted to maintain a higher stature by claiming that others require ritualistic conversion, cult initiation or energy transfers given exclusively through them. Having followers that are completely dependent on you and cling to every word you say without their own personal awakening is not a sign of a true master. In truth spiritual energy or universal consciousness flows freely everywhere with each person always connected to the source or creator. The best initiation, attunement or baptism is self-realization and personal spiritual development which helps the individual in awakening to the infinite self.
5. Inner Path: Some people are confused between religion and spirituality without an understanding that spirituality is an inner path unlike religions which are about following messages given by others. Belief in or worship of outer deity, their life-stories, mythologies and commandments is religious and not necessarily spiritual practice. Meditation and personal enlightenment is about going within ourselves and learning who we are through awakened intuition because everything that we see outside could simply be an illusion that we are yet to awaken from.
6. Inner and Not Outer Power: Spirituality is not a power or ego trip to gain mastery over others, but a lesson in compassion and inner transformation. Some people try to gain spiritual power with the sole aim of gaining followers, popularity, financial success or worldly power. In truth, the only power we need to develop is the power over our own mind. The illusion that succeeding in the outer world is the purpose of our life is bound to break some day when we return to our self and realize it is all about how truthful and positive we are from inside.
7. Unity Consciousness: Divisive or limited beliefs regarding gender, sexuality, caste, culture, race, genetics, lineage, religion or language are not a symbol of true spirituality. Unconditional love that focuses on universal peace, unity and equality is awakened through spiritual and meditative practice that connects us with out common inner core. we all are from the same source which is our true self and we can all return to oneness through spiritual awakening.